The Challenge of Leadership in Complex Structures
Between leadership and management
Today, the competitive power and survival capacity of most companies is more and more dependent on the social skills of their managers. Where role assignments and hierarchical sequences have led to positive results in the past, a situational leadership style is now necessary in order to remain successful over the course of time. The ideal promotion of human capital - of emotional intelligence and creativity - at this level, adapted to the individual challenges of the organization is the answer to the key question of our time!
What does leadership mean?
Leadership means influencing a group toward a common goal, through integration and coordination, always taking into account the respective situation. A leader must derive the appropriate goals from a company's strategy and direct the team toward them accordingly. In order to do this, they must be able to translate these goals and make them easily understandable, right down to the individual targets. Only then will everyone will be sitting in the same boat - and row in the same direction.
We have compiled a few typical cases of how we support you when it comes to leadership questions – as an individual training measure or as an intervention for your entire organization:
Leadership that Transforms
Leadership in unstable times
Today, changes are happening in ever-shorter periods of time. However, many employees are still very unsettled by such transformations. Unpredictable and incomprehensible changes often cause anxiety and helplessness. Leadership executives who have internalized the principle of transformational leadership are, nevertheless, able to motivate their employees despite the uncertainty and dispel fear of the unknown.
Four elements make up the basis of this transformational leadership approach:
- Role model function: The leader must be credible.
- Inspiring motivation: A convincing vision explains why the engagement of the individual employee is worth the common goal.
- Intellectual stimulation: Employees must be challenged; their creativity should be stimulated.
- Individual support: The more directly individuals can be supported, the greater the effect.
Transformational leadership is challenging for employers and clashes with dominant (leadership) and corporate culture of many companies.
We would like to support you in developing your individual abilities for transformational leadership or even initiating a paradigm shift for your organization!
Change Management for Leadership Executives
We enable employers to change
Change projects are a special challenge for leadership executives. In addition to challenging tasks, the potential opposition of the employees and the interests of the stakeholders must be countered.
Well-established change communication is also important for the success of the change process. Often, you must also work on secret rules and taboos in order to enter this new world.
This is where our change management training for leadership executives comes in:
What we offer
- Change Management for Leadership Executives: From Vision to Implementation
- Change management for Change Managers: How do I manage the change process? Dealing with Oppositions. Turning affected parties into participants
- The Personality of the Change Manager as a Key Success Factor for Organizational Development
- Designing Separation Processes Fairly and Offering Perspective
In addition to these proven seminar modules, our consultants offer individual handling of your situation within the framework of the entire program "Change management for leadership executives". We will create a program for you that adapts to the needs of your organization as well as the process.
What you get out of it
- "Transforming moment": After the event, your transformation has gained a whole new strength.
- "Teambuilding": Employees and leadership executives get to know each other in a new way and build trust in each other - stereotypes are dismantled.
- Methodical expertise: Your employees become familiar with concrete methods for difficult situations - be it the task of offering feedback to a colleague, planning with greater complexity, or the right view on the distribution of resources and the phases of transformation.
- Personal and interpersonal issues: How can we deal with interpersonal issues that occur during the change - addressing latent conflicts and settling current conflicts, a core competency in the implementation of your transformation.
THE THEORY OF SITUATIONAL LEADERSHIP ACCORDING TO HERSHEY AND BLANCHARD
While universal leadership theories assume that certain behaviors or personality traits - such as charisma - generally lead to success, the approach of situational leadership asserts that leadership is also dependent on the framework conditions of the respective phase in which the supervisor and his or her employee are currently in. For this reason, the leadership style must be adapted to the respective situation and framework conditions.
Each change involves situations in which some employees may feel challenged (ability) or show opposition (motivation):
- In the case of challenges, a more demanding task orientation (detailed instructions and guidelines) is required.
- Times of change require a stronger relationship orientation (encouraging, motivating, supporting).
To receive the adequate response, the supervisor must increase his/her leadership leeway:
- He needs both a realistic assessment of his employees (deepened perception)
- as well as a wide range of actions for leadership interventions.
Our training offering for situational leadership
Our training provides the situational leadership experience and practice-oriented model, as well as the associated tools, by Ken Blachard. The best tools for your success!
During your daily leadership routine, you´ll learn:
What you get out of it
- to communicate based on the respective situation. .
- how to motivationally lead various "types" of employees.
- to activate self-responsibility in your team.
- to see leadership primarily as a development task.
- to recognize your employee resources as a coach.
- and to promote self-management in your environment.
Situational leadership enables leadership executives to provide needs-oriented support to their employees.
This not only increases the efficiency of leadership, but also their own efficiency, as, for example, no unnecessary energy is wasted in the detailed instructions of an employee who can and will most likely solve the task independently.
Therefore, underchallenging as well as overburdening of employees is avoided - one of the most important prerequisites for motivation and service provision.
Leadership of Virtual Teams
Training for leadership executives who do not see their employees on a daily basis
You are in charge of an international team spread across different locations. In order to manage your team effectively, you need expertise in international virtual teamwork. You must take into account the special features of virtual and intercultural cooperation, as well as choose the best instruments, methods and procedures.
What we offer
Via our qualification program "Management of Virtual Teams", we offer you support in the following areas:
- Success factors of virtual cooperation
- Tasks of virtual leadership
- Tools for virtual team leadership and team development
Our consultants, trainers and coaches are cosmopolitans. They have international business experience and apply an effective, proven mix of methods. We are aware of the local cultural particularities and know how to apply them in a positive manner.
What you get out of it
- You will learn security in the management of virtual teams.
- You will improve your communication skills in dealing with intercultural and virtual teams.
- You will deal with conflicts calmly and easily find solutions for the successful implementation of your projects.
Meeting new challenges correctly
Project work is becoming increasingly important and commonplace in a rising number of companies. However, it also brings with it new requirements. Our training is aimed at project managers who face these challenges:
What we offer
- Project managers are new to the project management role and have assumed leadership responsibility for the first time.
- Difficult personalities are causing problems on the project team.
- Project managers are straight from the line and have done everything themselves thus far, but now must prioritize and delegate in order to adapt to the phases and strategy of the project.
Our interactive training course "Project Leadership" teaches the following topics:
What you get out of it
- Leadership role project management
- Prioritization and delegation of tasks
- The project team
- Motivation and inner drivers
- Communication and collaboration on projects
- Target group: experienced project managers (duration- two days)
Leading projects means leading people. This project leadership role is challenging: Leadership is limited to the duration of the project and the project manager has no disciplinary authority when it comes to the rules. At the beginning of a task, project managers often ask themselves how they should and can lead under the respective conditions. Sometimes there are fears of not having enough influence on the outcome of a project but still being judged by its success. But even without a disciplinary function, there are enough options for managing your own employees and thus, the entire project.
The participants understand the unique characteristics of project management. Furthermore, they are able to:
- delegate tasks effectively,
- design project communication in a meaningful way,
- motivate their employees,
- and reach binding agreements and deal with conflicts constructively.
Fit for CEO - Leadership at the Top Management Level
We help you get started
You have been entrusted with the task of rebuilding, transforming a company, or taking over the department head position. Our consultants will work together with you to design your schedule for the first 100 days as a manager. Together we determine how to achieve successes that give your company and your career a boost, taking into account four key aspects.
Order clarification: You will know the expectations of all relevant stakeholders and have gained an overview of the associated risks (also for yourself.)
Analysis of the initial situation: You will receive a well-founded assessment of the initial situation in order to be able to assess changes and trigger them in a targeted manner.
Conception/strategy development: Your company's vision and mission will be clearly defined, including strategic areas of action and an implementation road-map with all concrete tasks that need to be completed.
Implementation: The road-map of the process will be implemented in the best way possible, including all relevant key players of your company. They will consistently and effectively steer all milestones and successfully implement your goals.
With "Fit for CEO" you will achieve the highest degree of confidence for your new role as a leadership executive and the maximum impact for self-marketing.
Unfortunately, we decided to start "Fit for CEO" pretty late in the game - due to the hectic pace of operations I was not the driving force, but rather the one that was being driven. The collaboration with K&P was like an emergency stop shortly before reaching the edge. Together, we identified key issues, developed a realistic strategy, implemented work initiatives and built a leadership team that still exists today. "Fit for CEO“ is a great recommendation for anyone who is new to leadership positions."
Leadership in the Spotlight
How to improve your media presence
Thoughtless statements and misinterpreted gestures can cause an astonishing amount of damage to your image in the media world - also known as "communication faux-pas": Ackermann's Victory sign, simply a Michael Jackson imitation without any further ulterior motives, as he stated, made the then Chairman of Deutsche Bank a symbol of the ruthless, money-hungry capitalist.
The dos and don'ts of a media presence can be learned - we are happy to teach you!
What we offer
You will be coached by our media professionals and prepared for your performance in small groups! You will learn how to
What you get out of it
- deal with tension and nervousness.
- answer tricky questions quickly and precisely.
- formulate your message in such a way that it reaches all your target groups. You will learn how to consciously use not only language, but non-verbal elements such as gestures and facial expressions, so your appearance delivers a coherent overall picture.
Today, leadership executives are often confronted with having to speak into a microphone in front of live cameras - whether on corporate TV or for a local station.
The increased use of social media also puts the media-based (self-)presentation of the leadership executives in the spotlight: Your presence is the visual calling card of your company.
Make a positive impression in the public eye, strengthen the image of your company and convince with professional crisis PR in emergency situations!
Learn to observe - not judge!
For Young Executives and Old Hands
In everyday life, we are quick to judge: the new colleague who dumped his coffee all over his notes at the first meeting together is most likely an incompetent fool with zero stress resistance. The guy on the train this morning, on the other hand, who sat diagonally across from you, had clear decision-making qualities - after all, he was wearing a tasteful watch.
Assumptions based on the lack of a separation of observation and assessment become dangerous in the context of the assessment of professional potential and performance. A high degree of objectivity is essential.
We teach you the right attitude and technique in our one-day Observer Training.
The Observer Training is one of the most important preparatory measures for the implementation of an Assessment Center (AC) or Development Center (DC). The goal is to familiarize all of your observers with behavior-based diagnostics, as well as with the actual procedures of the current AC/DC in particular.
You have to learn how to assess others properly. I'm glad K&P conducted the observer training before the AC."